Affiliates Pension Fund

If I've stopped working, what is my Required Beginning Date to receive my Affiliates US pension?

If you are vested and stopped working, you must commence your benefits on April 1 of the calendar year following the calendar year in which you reach age 70 1/2.

Is there mandatory retirement?

There is no such thing as mandatory retirement under the Affiliates US Plan, therefore you may continue to work as long as you desire.  However, if you are vested, you are only eligible to receive a monthly pension benefit when you retire. 

What documents do I need to apply for retirement?

We will need the following:

  • your birth certificate
  • your spouse’s birth certificate and marriage certificate (if married)
  • any death certificates (if widowed)
  • any divorce decrees (if divorced)

How long is the application process?

The application process takes up to 90 days from when the application is complete.  An application is considered complete when all requested documents have been received.

Why haven’t I received my direct deposit into my bank this month?

If you have not received your direct deposit after 60 days of submitting your direct deposit form, please contact the Fund and your bank.

I submitted my direct deposit form, but my check is still being mailed to me?

Please allow up to 60 days for your direct deposit to be established. You should expect to receive a paper check during this 60-day period.

How do I sign up for direct deposit?

Please submit and return the Fund’s Direct Deposit Authorization form located in the forms tab of this website or request a form from the Fund.

How can I change my direct deposit?

Please submit a revised Direct Deposit Authorization form as soon as possible so that your benefits will not be delayed.

When are pension checks mailed?

All pension checks are mailed 1 to 2 days prior to the first day of the month. If you have direct deposit, your benefit check will be credited to your account on the first business day of the month. If you have not received your check by the 10th of the month, please contact the Fund for a reissue.

Can I borrow against my Pension Plan?

No, the plan does not have a provision that would allow you to borrow from the Fund.

How much money do I have in the Fund?

Please request a copy of your Pension Service Credit Report, which will provide you with an estimated benefit amount payable as early as age 55, age 65 and in the event that you become disabled.  If you are over age 55 at the time of your request, the report will provide the estimated benefit amount as of your current age.

Am I eligible to receive a lump sum?

You must apply for benefits, before the Fund can determine if you qualify for a full or partial lump sum benefit.

I submitted my approval documents, when can I expect my first check?

Please allow up to 60 days for your first check to be issued.

How can I get a Spousal Waiver Form?

You will receive a spousal waiver form with your approval package.

If I do not want my spouse to receive my benefits upon my death, what do I need to do?

Your spouse would have to waive his/her rights to your benefits by signing a waiver or beneficiary/census form.

I have not seen my spouse in 20 years, what do I do?

Federal Law requires all pensions to be paid as a 50% spousal pension unless otherwise indicated.  Therefore, you must provide all requested information before your application can be processed.

If I die, will my children receive my benefits?

The Fund will pay benefits to your elected beneficiary on file at the time of your passing.  If no beneficiary is named the fund will pay benefits in the following order:
1. spouse    
2. children    
3. parents    
4. siblings    
5. your estate.

My benefits were suspended and I submitted my notarized statement, when will my benefits commence?

Please allow up to 60 days for your benefits to be reinstated.

I submitted a QDRO – when will I receive a response?

Please allow up to 180 days to receive a response for your QDRO.

Can I change my payment option?

Your elected option cannot be changed or altered for any reason once your benefits begin. However, prior to receiving your first benefit check, you may change your elected option. You will need spousal consent to elect a Lifetime Benefit.   In addition, your spouse could also revoke consent to your elected option before your benefits commence.

How will I know when my application has been approved?

If you are not eligible for a benefit, you will receive a letter explaining why you are not eligible for benefits.

Can I continue to work part-time after I retire?

You must terminate/separate from employment from the Local Union before your benefit can commence.  If you are over age 65, you are permitted to work 40 hours per month without affecting your benefit payments.

At what age can I receive benefits?

Early Retirement Age is 55 or Age 50 if you qualify for the Rule of 80 (age plus service totals 80) and Normal Retirement Age is 65.  Please contact our office 4 to 6 months prior to your desired retirement date to apply for benefits.

Can I receive a benefit if I am disabled?

The Fund does have a disability retirement benefit.  Please submit a copy of your Social Security Administration entitlement letter to the Fund to determine eligibility.

Can I lose my benefits if I am fired from my job?

Once you are vested, your benefits cannot be forfeited.  However, if you are terminated from employment prior to becoming vested you may lose your benefits.

Are monthly benefits taxable?


Will I receive a Cost of Living Adjustments?

Yes, annual Cost of Living Adjustments are granted every January 1st, provided your benefits were in payment status for 6 months during the preceding year.