National Industry Pension Fund (NIPF)

What is my Required Beginning Date to receive my NIPF pension?

If you are vested, your Required Beginning Date is the first day of the month following the date you reach age 70.  Otherwise, if you are over age 70 and not vested yet but still working, your Required Beginning Date will be the date you become vested.

Why is the NIPF forcing me to take my pension if I am over age 70?

If you are over age 70, you are required to begin to receive your pension benefits, whether or not you apply for benefits or continue to work, but in no event prior to the date you become vested and earn a permanent right to a benefit under the NIPF.

What documents do I need to apply for retirement?

We will need the following: 

  • your proof of age (for example, Birth Certificate, Passport or Naturalization Papers)
  • your spouse’s proof of age (for example, Birth Certificate, Passport or Naturalization Papers) and marriage certificate (if married)
  • any death certificates (if widowed)
  • any divorce decrees (if divorced)

How long is the application process?

The application process takes up to 90 days to approve or deny your application from when the application is complete.  An application is considered complete when all the requested documents have been received.

Why haven’t I received my direct deposit into my bank account this month?

If you have not received your direct deposit after 60 days of submitting your direct deposit form, please contact the SEIU Benefit Funds Office and your bank.

How do I sign up for direct deposit?

Please submit and return the Fund’s SEIU Direct Deposit Form located in the Forms tab of this website or request a form from the Fund.

How can I change my direct deposit?

Please submit a revised SEIU Direct Deposit Form as soon as possible so that your benefits will not be delayed.

When are pension checks mailed?

All pension checks are mailed 1 to 2 days prior to the first day of the month. If you have direct deposit, your benefit check will be credited to your account on the first business day of the month.  If you have not received your check by the 10th of the month, please contact the SEIU Benefit Funds Office for a reissue.

I submitted my direct deposit form, but my check is still being mailed to me?

Please allow up to 60 days for your direct deposit to be established. You should expect to receive a paper check during this 60-day period.

Can I borrow against my Pension Plan?

No, the plan does not have a provision that would allow you to borrow from the Fund.

How much money do I have in the Fund?

Please request a copy of your Pension Service Credit Report, which will provide you with an estimated benefit amount payable as early as age 55, age 65 and in the event that you become disabled.  If you are over age 55 at the time of your request, the report will provide the estimated benefit amount as of your current age.

My Company is no longer contributing to the Fund, how can I get my money?

If you are working for the same company, the benefits cannot be paid until you terminate employment or you are of retirement age.

Am I eligible to receive a lump sum?

You must apply for benefits before the Fund can determine if you qualify for a lump sum benefit.

I worked for a company for many years, but the Fund can’t find me in system?

Your employer may not have been a contributor to this pension fund.  You should contact your Local Union or employer to confirm if your employer was required to contribute to the National Industry Pension Fund.  If you have obtained confirmation, please submit any supporting documentation to the Fund with a written request to research your eligibility for benefits.

I submitted my approval documents, when can I expect my first check?

Please allow up to 60 days for your first check to be issued.

How can I get a Spousal Waiver Form?

You will receive a Spousal Waiver Form with your approval package.

If I do not want my spouse to receive my benefits upon my death, what do I need to do?

Your spouse would have to waive his/her rights to your benefits by signing a waiver or beneficiary/census form.

My benefits were suspended and I submitted my notarized statement. When will my benefits commence?

Please allow up to 60 days for your benefits to be reinstated.

I submitted a QDRO – when will I receive a response?

Please allow up to 180 days to receive a response for your QDRO.

Which payment option should I choose?

To help you make your election, the Pension Department will provide you with an explanation of the benefit options and amounts available to you.

Can I change my payment option?

Your elected option cannot be changed or altered for any reason once your benefits begin. However, prior to receiving your first benefit check, you may change your elected option. You will need spousal consent to elect a Single Lifetime Benefit.   In addition, your spouse could also revoke consent to your elected option before your benefits commence.

How will I know when my application has been approved?

You will receive a letter explaining your approved benefits or you will receive a letter explaining why you are not eligible for benefits.

Can I continue to work part-time after I retire?

You must terminate/separate from any covered or non-covered employment before your benefit can commence unless you are over age 70.  If you are under age 65 and return to work, you are permitted to work up to 40 hours per month without affecting your benefit payments.  If you are over age 65 and return to work, you can work unlimited hours and your benefits will not be interrupted.  (You will be provided with a copy of the Rules on Working after Retirement once your benefits are approved.)

I have not seen my spouse in 20 years, what do I do?

Federal law requires all pensions for married participants to be paid as a 50% spousal pension unless otherwise indicated. Therefore, you must provide all requested information before your application can be processed.

If I die before I retire, will my children receive my benefits?

The Fund will only pay pre-retirement survivor benefits to a spouse.  If you are single at the time of your death, no benefits will be payable.

What age can I receive benefits?

Early Retirement Age is 55 and Normal Retirement Age is 65.  Please contact our office 4 to 6 months prior to your desired retirement date to apply for benefits. 

Can I receive a benefit if I’m disabled?

The Fund does have a disability retirement benefit.  Please submit a copy of your Social Security Administration entitlement letter to the Fund to determine eligibility.

Can I lose my benefits if I’m fired from my job?

Once you are vested, your benefits cannot be forfeited.  However, if you are terminated from employment prior to becoming vested you may lose your benefits.

Are monthly benefits taxable?


If I continue to work, will I receive an adjustment in my benefits?

All benefits are reviewed for adjustment by the fall of the following year (for example, 2014 credit hours are reviewed in the fall of 2015).  You will be advised in writing if you are eligible for an adjustment to your benefits.